Hi I'm Kristen,
"I BELIEVE IN AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM OF NOURISHING FOODS, A HEALTHY MIND, DAILY MOVEMENT, AND TRUSTING OUR INTUITIVE NEEDS."
I believe, health is defined as viewing food as an enjoyable part of our human experience(not the enemy at every turn) but where “DIET” is just an acronym that stands for “Did. I. Eat. Today?”
I believe a “Healthy Foundation” is like building a house.
If we rely solely on one pillar, the house collapses; therefore we must identify our strengths and weakness and build up what areas need support. A few of the founding pillars I believe in consist of:
- Foundational Foods & the “Why, When, and How” of our Eating Experience
- Our External and Internal Environment
- Mindfulness, Breath, & Stress Management Techniques
- Movement, Activity, & Strength Training
... note that I did NOT include “calories” or the word “DIET”!
IF YOU ARE CHAINED OR SUFFERING FROM TODAY’S TRAGIC “DIET CULTURE”, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE THIRSTY FOR HEALTH AND DIET FREEDOM, AND YOU KNOW IT IS POSSIBLE --- I KNOW IT IS POSSIBLE!
HEALTH, VITALITY, AND CONFIDENCE IS ATTAINABLE WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS.
My holistic perspective stems from my own journey with a focus and passion for food and nutrition, and integrates the principles of our mind, sleep, stress, relationships, environment, behaviors and habits. I am a Registered and Licensed Dietitian, Registered Yoga Teacher, Personal Trainer, and Wellness Coach with a zest for life and an enthusiastic passion for nutrition
and helping others attain their healthiest selves.
My enthusiastic energy stems from an encouraging cheerleader of 10+ years which started at a young age in Boston, MA. However, my roots as a Dietitian were planted on Virginia Tech’s soil, where I found my passion for nutrition (aka Dietetics) and Exercise and Health Promotion; I began exploring the medicinal qualities of food and exercise and the practical applications for preventative health – light bulbs went off! I threw myself into learning everything possible, and using my leadership qualities to share the incredible impacts of food, nutrition and exercise.
However, parallel with the excess stress and anxiety of my studies and pressures I constantly put on myself, I began controlling too much of what I ate. Before I knew it, I was underweight, had lost my menstrual cycle, and had the most awful GI cramps and stomach pains. The more my anxiety spiked, the more separated I became from my body and disordered eating patterns would frustratingly follow.
This important area of my life led me down to the insightful path of yoga, mindfulness, and mindful eating, which has served to be a truly transformative journey. I went on to complete two, 200-Hour Teacher Trainings (in Seattle, WA 2013 and in Rishikesh, India in 2015). Up until this point, I was already sharing how delicious, easy, and nourishing foods could be, but now I was practicing breathing techniques, providing yoga instructions, and more intimately asking about the emotions related to our food choices, in my nutrition sessions… the wheels kept turning and my clients continued growing!
In this time of integrating yoga and nutrition with clients, I went on to work as the Personal Nutritionist, Trainer, and Executive Assistant to CEO, Joe Cross at Reboot With Joe. Joe, the main star of the award-winning documentary Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 1 and 2 was one of the founding sparks of our grassroots revolution for healthy change. With gratitude and great joy, I had the opportunity to travel all over the world and was introduced to leaders in the wellness industry and exposed to new ideas in the integrative space of nutrition…. Joe made me realize, my work as a dietitian had to be much deeper than just foods - our behaviors, habits, and the power of community and human connection was essential for sustainable health changes I aimed to provide.
And so, in tying together my enthusiastic and warm energy, my history of overcoming anxiety and disordered eating through yoga and meditation, and my unique experiences as a Dietitian these past several years, I am excited to bring an Integrative Wellness Specialist to the Roots Reboot team!! In finding the deeper connection behind what we choose to eat, I aim to understand why, when, and how we approach our daily choices and the emotions and meaning behind it; This is where sustainable and lasting change occurs.. Food is medicine, and our mind can be an antidote to using that medicine to our best ability.
I am passionate. I am grounded in this space of wellness. I am motivated to support my clients in every way possible.
INTEGRATIVE WELLNESS DIETITIAN OF ROOTS REBOOT
ROOTS REBOOT SPECIALTY:
- Adult and Adolescent Loss/Weight Management
- Mindful Eating
- Integrative Wellness Dietitian
- Women’s Health
- Yoga and Meditation
- Eating Disorders
- Group Coaching
- Personal Nutritionist, Trainer, and Executive Assistant to Chairman and CEO, Joe Cross from the hit documentary, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead at Reboot With Joe (2014, 2015)
- Leading Medically Supervised Non-Surgical Weight Management Programs (TriHealth, Cincinnati Ohio, HEALTHONE and STRIDES programming)
- Group Coaching in Weight Management and Healthy Living Classes
- Cooking Demonstrations & Hands-on Cooking Classes/Workshops/Events
- Outpatient Counseling at Women’s Health Physician Practice (TriHealth Kenwood Women’s Center)
- Nutrition Blogger and Dietitian Consultant (Reboot With Joe, Shea Training Systems, Haylie Pomroy The Fast Metabolism Diet)
- Program Development for Healthy Living Workshops (Adult Nutrition, Aging Population Nutrition, Kids/Adolescent Nutrition)
- Sports Nutrition (Shea Training Systems)
- Nutrition on Social Media (Shea Training Systems)
- Recipe Development and Meal Planning (SimpleMeals, SimpleMost app development)
- Registered Yoga Instructor (Virginia Tech University, Chicago Cheetah Gyms, The Yoga Bar, Individual/Private Instruction)
- Personal Trainer (Virginia Tech University, University of Cincinnati)
- Fitness Instructor (Bootcamp, Strength, Cycle/Spin, Pilates)
- Guided Juicing Reboot Program Nutritionist, Reboot With Joe
- Corporate Wellness Seminars/Presentations/Health Fairs
- RD: Registered Dietitian, American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Association
- LD: Licensed Dietitian, Ohio
- BS: Bachelors of Science in Human, Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise (Dietetics Option and Exercise and Health Promotion Option), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- WellCoaches, Individual and Group Coaching Certificate (2016)
- Integrative and Functional Medicine Practitioner, DIFM (Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine), (currently in training courses for certification, halfway completed)
- Balanced Bites Masterclass Paleo Certified Practitioner
- CPT: Certified Personal Trainer (American Council Exercise), 2009-current
- 200 Hour Certified Yoga Alliance Teacher, Vinyasa Hatha School, Rishikesh, India (2015)
- 200 Hour Certified Yoga Alliance Teacher, The Yoga Center of Seattle (2013)
- YogaFit, Level 1 Certified (2010)
- Yin and Meditation Training Certificate (currently undergoing, half of the course completed 2018)
- Skier (favorite places to ski: Killington where I met my husband, Stowe VT where my sister lives, Big Sky Montana, Mammoth (some extended family live), and Vail CO;
- Runner (half marathons are my favorite)…. I did a marathon once and that was “one and done!”;
- Healthy Food Enthusiast (you might often find me in a juice shop or hours lost in a cooking store),
- Traveler (my love for experiencing culture has brought me to Africa (medical volunteer trip), Spain (with Taylor!!), France, Iceland (honeymoon), Canada (west to east coast), London Europe, Singapore, Australia (west to east coast), India (for yoga training) and Thailand.